Saint Joseph, Carnegie
This parish is presently located at:
St. Joseph parish was founded in 1879 as a German ethnic parish. In June of that year a group of Germans living in Mansfield (which later became Carnegie) met to prepare a petition to the Bishop for their own parish. The petition was approved on July 14, 1879. On September 21 of that year, the cornerstone for the new church was laid. The church itself was dedicated on January 1, 1880. This church lasted for a decade before it gave way to a larger structure. The new church, with a school attached, was dedicated on December 15, 1891. The original church was then torn down.
The new church was remodeled in 1912 and rededicated on December 22, 1912. With just minor modifications over the years, it continued to serve the Carnegie community for another eight decades. By the early 1990's, population loss in the Carnegie area made it no longer feasible for St. Joseph to remain as an independent parish. In 1992, the Carnegie area parishes were merged and the new St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish was created.