Saint Joseph, Ellport
This parish is presently located at:
St. Joseph was founded in 1929 as an Hungarian ethnic parish. The parish was organized by the small Hungarian population in Ellport who first met to plan for the new church in 1926. In 1927 they purchased land for a church and on September 8, 1929, work was begun on the church. The building was completed on January 30, 1930 and the first Mass was celebrated on February 9, 1930. The church was dedicated on May 30, 1930.
Due to the small congregation, the church was a mission of other parishes for its entire existence. Until 1945, the parish was a mission of St. Ladislaus parish in Beaver Falls. In 1945 it became a mission of Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Ellwood City.
By 1992, population loss in Lawrence County made it impractical for St. Joseph to remain as an indepedent parish. In that year, St. Joseph was merged with Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary parish. The church was closed that year and in 1995 was sold to the Faith Fellowship Church. The building remains as a house of worship for that congregation.