Saint Joseph (German), Manchester
This parish is presently located at:
St. Joseph was a German parish founded in 1867. Before that time German Catholics attended St. Mary, North Side. As the German population in the Manchester area grew, however, the need for a new parish became obvious. The cornerstone for the new church was laid on June 24, 1866 and the completed building was dedicated on June 23, 1867. This church was located at the corner of Franklin and Fulton Streets.
As the population of the area continued to grow, the need for a larger church building became apparent. On May 9, 1897 the cornerstone of a new church located at the corner of Liverpool and Fulton Streets was laid. The church was dedicated on September 11, 1898. The church prospered for many years. However, starting in 1950, the population of Manchester began to decline rapidly.
In 1962, the nearby territorial parish of St. Andrew was forced to close due to an urban renewal project. As St. Joseph was the closest church to St. Andrew parish, the diocese decided to incorporate the St. Andrew congregation into St. Joseph. Because of this, St. Joseph's status changed from a German parish to a territorial parish.