Saint Joseph, Port Vue
This parish is presently located at:
St. Joseph was established on August 19, 1948. The origin of the parish can be traced to early 1947 when the pastor of St. Mary Polish Church, McKeesport asked the bishop for permission to establish a mission in Port Vue. The bishop agreed and on April 27, 1947, the first Mass was celebrated in Port Vue in the auditorium of the Meyer Ave. School. In June, the mission was formally established and assigned to St. Mary. Mass was celebrated in the school until July of 1947 when permission to use the building was withdrawn. Mass was shifted to the American Slovak Hall Association building where the first Mass was celebrated on August 15, 1947. Land for a church was purchased in the fall of 1947 and ground was broken on April 25, 1948. A few months later, on August 19, the mission was elevated to a parish and a resident pastor assigned.
The church was finally completed and dedicated on March 6, 1949. The parish began to grow and in 1951 purchased additional land. Beginning in 1952, the parish drew up plans for a new school with a temporary church. On July 12, 1953, ground was broken for the combined church/school building. The cornerstone was laid on March 28, 1954, and the completed building was dedicated on August 15, 1954. The church occupied the basement of the building and was intended to be a temporary church. The original church was converted to a parish hall. In 1972 the original church building was sold to the Port Vue American Legion.
The sanctuary of the church was renovated in 1972 to implement the changes of Vatican II. In 1975 the parish decided to drop the original plans to build a separate church and instead renovated the temporary church to make it the permanent church. The renovated church was dedicated on August 17, 1975.
With the loss of industry in the area, the population dropped to the point that the community could no longer support an independent parish. In 1993, St. Joseph merged with St. Eugene in Liberty Boro to form the new St. Mark parish. St. Joseph Church remains open and continues to serve the new parish.