Saint Joseph (Territorial), Manchester
This parish is presently located at:
St. Joseph was originally founded as a German parish in 1867. In 1962, the nearby territorial parish of St. Andrew was forced to close due to an urban renewal project. As St. Joseph was the closest church to St. Andrew parish, the diocese decided to incorporate the St. Andrew congregation into St. Joseph. Because of this, St. Joseph's status changed from a German parish to a territorial parish on December 31, 1962.
Due to urban renewal projects in the area and other factors, the population of Manchester began to decline rapidly. By 1987 the parish population declined so far that it was no longer feasible to keep the parish open. St. Joseph was closed on July 1, 1987.