Saint Kieran, Lawrenceville
This parish is presently located at:
St. Kieran was established in 1887. The origin of the parish can be traced to the growth of industry and its accompanying population after the Civil War in the Lawrenceville area. By 1886, the congregation of the existing Lawrenceville parish, St. Mary, was too large for one church. The next year, St. Mary's congregation was divided and St. Kieran parish was formed. In the spring of 1887 work began on a combination church/school building. The completed structure was dedicated in April of the following year. The first floor of the building served as the church and the upper floor was divided into classrooms.
The congregation continued to grow and after the turn of the century it became obvious that a larger church and school were needed. On November 3, 1907, the cornerstone of a new church was laid and the completed church was dedicated on October 25, 1908. After the new church was completed, the first floor of the old church/school building was converted to a parish hall and additional classrooms. In 1920, the old building was again remodeled and became a school only.
Although the church has been renovated over the years, it continues to serve the Catholic community. However, the parish itself no longer exists. Due to the drop of population in the area in the last half of the twentieth century, St. Kieran was merged with St. Mary Assumption in 1993 to form the new St. Matthew parish. St. Kieran Church remains open and serves the new parish.