Saint Lawrence O'Toole

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

4:00 pm

Sunday

10:00 am

Weekdays

M-Sat. 11:30 am

1st F 6:30 pm

Holy Days

H 10:00 am

Confessions:

Saturday

After 11:30 am Mass

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

5323 Penn Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Phone: 412-363-1771

Church Building:

Corner of Penn and N Atlantic Aves
Pittsburgh, PA 15224


Administrative Center:

5323 Penn Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Phone: 412-363-1771
Fax: 412-363-7552


Clergy:

Rev. James Graham

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

31601

Open Date:

1897

Close Date:

2012

Neighborhoods Served:

Garfield

Parish History

St. Lawrence O'Toole was founded in 1897.  Before that year, most Catholics in Garfield attended St. Mary, Lawrenceville.  As the population of Garfield grew, the establishment of local church became practical.  The first church, located on Kincaid Street, was dedicated on June 27, 1897.  This church was destroyed in a fire in 1906.  A new church was built at the corner of North Atlantic and Penn Avenues in 1907. 

In 1963 the parish had to discontinue using the church because of safety concerns.  While plans were being made to build a new church, Masses were held in the parish Activities Building.  Ground was officially broken for the current church in August, 1965 and the structure was soon completed.

The church served the parish for the rest of the century.  By the beginning of the 21st century, a drop of the congregation made the long term prospects of the parish uncertain.  A study was conducted involving local church leadership, parishioners, diocesan officials and consultative bodies to determine how many parishes would be viable in the Bloomfield, Garfield, Lawrenceville and Polish Hill areas of the city. As a result of the study, Immaculate Conception-St. Joseph Parish merged with St. Lawrence O'Toole Parish to form the new St. Maria Goretti Parish. The merger became effective on June 4, 2012. St. Lawrence O'Toole Church remains open and will serve the new parish.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Lawrence O'Toole Church, 1907-1963
St. Lawrence O'Toole Church, 2001
Altar of St. Lawrence O'Toole, 2001

File Attachments: