Saint Louis, West Sunbury
This parish is presently located at:
St. Louis was founded in 1923. The origin of the parish can be traced back to October 21, 1916 when the nearby community of Claytonia, a mining town, was visited by representatives of the Mission Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (MCCD). The diocese formed the MCCD to bring religious instruction to Catholics living in small, isolated communities who did not have easy access to an existing church. The first Mass was celebrated on February 10, 1917. Until 1923, Mass was celebrated twice a month in private homes at first and later in a coal mining company house. In June 1923, a meeting of local Catholics with the MCCD decided that the community needed a church building. Work began on the church and on October 21, 1923, the church was dedicated to St. Louis.
Until 1947 the parish was served by the MCCD. In that year, it became a mission of St. Paul parish, Butler. By the early 1960's, the congregation outgrew the original church building and work began on a new church. The church was dedicated on September 1, 1963.
Shortly thereafter, the parish became independent with the appointment of a resident pastor. However, by the end of the century, the population had dropped too much to enable the parish to remain independent. On September 3, 1993, St. Louis, along with two other parishes, was merged with St. Alphonsus, Murrinsville. The church remains open and serves as a worship site for St. Alphonsus.