Saint Lucy, New Castle
This parish is presently located at:
St. Lucy was founded as an Italian ethnic parish in 1913. It began as a mission church of St. Vitus. The first St. Lucy Church was built on South Liberty Street in 1912. The next year, St. Lucy became an independent parish. The parish soon outgrew its original church and a second church was built in a more central location on North Cedar St. The cornerstone for this second church was laid on October 15, 1930 and the finished church was dedicated on February 15, 1931.
This church was in turn replaced. Construction of a new church began in 1976. The congregation began using the new church in September of 1977 despite the fact that the church was not yet complete. The church was not completed and dedicated until August of 1978.
The migration of population from New Castle in the latter part of the century required a consolidation of the number of parishes in the city. In 1993, St. Lucy merged with three other parishes to form St. Vincent de Paul parish. St. Lucy church remained open after the merger along with three other churches. However, as the new century dawned, it became obvious that the parish could no longer support that many church buildings. On September 8, 2007, the other churches closed and St. Lucy was renamed St. Vincent de Paul.