Saint Luke, Carnegie
This parish is presently located at:
St. Luke was founded in 1867. The founding of the church can be traced to the rise in population in Carnegie, then known as Mansfield. Before St. Luke was established, local Catholics had to travel to Crafton or Pittsburgh to attend Mass. The first Mass celebrated in Carnegie occurred in a private home in October of 1866. The next year a small commercial building was purchased and converted into a church. The new church was dedicated on July 28, 1867. Within a few years, the church was enlarged to accommodate the growing congregation.
The congregation continued to grow and in 1873 the decision was made to build a new church. Work began on the foundation of a new church, but construction was soon abandoned. The congregation was split as to where the new church should be located and an economic depression struck the county. In 1879, it became generally agreed that a new church was badly needed. A lot was purchased and work began on the new church. The cornerstone was laid in 1881 and the completed building was dedicated in June of 1883.
The church has been improved and renovated over the years. A major renovation of the church building took place between the years 1980 and 1982. Within a decade, however, the population of Carnegie had dropped to the point that it was no longer practical to maintain the parish as an independent entity. In 1992, St. Luke merged with five other parishes to form the new St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish. St. Luke church remained open after the merger and served the new parish.
This situation ended on September 17, 2004 when Hurricane Ivan caused extensive flooding in Carnegie. This flooding severely damaged St. Luke Church, causing the parish to close the building. Rather than tear down the building, the parish decided to rehabilitate and reconstruct the building. The interior of the church was turned around 180 degrees and completely renovated. Only three walls, the roof and stained glass windows of the original architecture of the church were preserved. Work on the church began on October 16, 2010 and the renovated church was dedicated on November 20, 2011 as St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church.