Saint Margaret

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Saint Margaret

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 a.m.; 12:15 p.m.

Weekdays: M-F 9:00 a.m.

Holy Days: As scheduled

Confessions:

Saturday: 3:00-3:45 p.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

310 Mansfield Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15220
Phone: 412-921-1613

School: Saint Margaret:

915 Alice St
Pittsburgh, PA 15220
Phone: 412-922-4765
Fax: 412-922-4647

Administrative Center:

310 Mansfield Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15220
Phone: 412-921-0745
Fax: 412-921-0707


Clergy:

Rev. Francis J. Murhammer
Deacon Kevin L. Lander

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

34401

Open Date:

1931

Ethnicity:

Hungarian

Neighborhoods Served:

Greentree

Parish History

St. Margaret was established on January 3, 1931, as a mission of St. Martin, West End.  The founding of the parish was sparked by a petition by a group of Greentree Catholics to the bishop on December 9, 1930, requesting permission to form the mission.  On February 27, 1931, the parish purchased a former grocery store and converted it to a church.  The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on May 3, 1931.  The congregation continued to grow and on July 27, 1938, St. Margaret became an independent parish.

The original church served the parish until 1952.  In 1949, the state announced its plan to build the Penn-Lincoln Parkway.  The route of the highway included the property of St. Margaret, including the church.  The parish made plans to build a new school that would include a temporary church.  Ground for the new church/school building was broken in April of 1951 and the building was dedicated on November 9, 1952.  The upper floor of the building served as the school and the lower floor as a church. 

The temporary church served the parish for over 25 years.  On March 4, 1979, ground was broken for a new church.  The cornerstone was laid on December 9, 1979, and the first Mass was celebrated in the new church on June 8, 1980.  The church was officially dedicated on August 10, 1980.  The temporary church in the school building was converted to a gymnasium.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. Margaret Church, 1943
Interior of first church, 1943
St. Margaret Church, 2002
St. Margaret interior, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Margaret Parish Map.pdf198.39 KB