Saint Mary Assumption, Lawerenceville
This parish is presently located at:
St. Mary of the Assumption was founded in 1897 as a Slovenian parish. In 1894, the Slovene community purchased lots on 57th Street for the building of a church. On August 15, 1897, the first Mass was held in the new church building. The church was dedicated on October 27, 1897. This first church, a frame structure, remained in place until the mid 1950's. In 1955, a new church was built, also on 57th Street. The new church was dedicated on May 14, 1955.
As part of the diocesan reorganization and revitalization in 1993, St. Mary of the Assumption was combined with other local parishes to form St. Matthew parish. The church itself is still being used by St. Matthew as a worship site.