Saint Mary, Crucible
This parish is presently located at:
St. Mary was established in 1925. Before the parish was founded, local Catholics traveled to St. Michael, Fredericktown to attend Mass. In 1925, local Catholics petitioned the bishop to establish a mission in Crucible. Permission was granted and local Catholics secured the use of the local community building for Sunday Mass. The first Mass was celebrated on May 31, 1925. In the beginning Crucible was a mission of St. Michael, with assistance from the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine and Ss. Mary and Ann, Marianna. In 1929, St. Mary became a mission of St. Albert, Palmer.
Land for a new church was purchased in 1936 and work on the building began. The new church was dedicated on June 13, 1937. The next year, responsibility for St. Mary was transferred to Our Lady of Consolation, Nemacolin. On December 24, 1944, the church was completely destroyed in a fire. Until a new church was built, the congregation attended Mass at Sacred Heart Church in Rices Landing.
A new church was built and dedicated in 1946. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on April 21, 1946. Over the years, the church has been renovated and remodeled. On August 28, 1992, St. Mary mission was officially closed and the parish merged with Our Lady of Consolation. The church itself remains open and continues to serve the local Catholic community.