Saint Mary of Mercy
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
Holy Day: As Scheduled
Weekdays: M-F 6:30, 7:30 a.m.; 12:00 noon; Sat. 12:00 noon – Except on parade days and other Devotion event days
Tues., Wed., Thurs: 11-11:45 a.m.
St. Mary of Mercy was founded in 1870. Two years prior to that a house was purchased in September 1868 and converted as a chapel called Our Lady of Consolation for the Irish residents of the Point area. At first this chapel served as a mission for St. Paul Cathedral, but in 1870 St. Mary was formed as an independent parish. This building soon became inadequate for the growing congregation. On May 12, 1876, the Ames Methodist Episcopal Church on the corner of Third Avenue and Ferry Street was purchased by the parish. After renovation, the church was dedicated on September 24, 1876 and renamed St. Mary of Mercy.
Even this church proved inadequate, so in 1893 a new church was built and dedicated on May 28, 1893 on the site of the current church. For forty years, this church served the congregation well. However, by the early 1930's, structural damage and the small size of the building necessitated the building of a new church. The last Mass in this church was held on May 22, 1935. The church was then razed and the current building constructed at the same location. On October 25, 1936, the existing St. Mary of Mercy, located at the corner of Stanwix Street and the Boulevard of the Allies was dedicated. This church is still in use today.