Saint Mary, New Castle
This parish is presently located at:
St. Mary was founded in 1852. Before that year, the local Catholic population was small and was served by visiting priests from parishes in Beaver and Allegheny County. In 1852 a small frame church was built in New Castle as a mission of Ss. Peter and Paul parish in Beaver. The next year a resident pastor was appointed to St. Mary.
The growth of heavy industry in New Castle and the subsequent growth of population eventually led to the need for a larger church. On July 4, 1866, the cornerstone for a new church was laid. Although the church was not yet completed, Mass was celebrated in the building beginning in 1869. The church was finally completed and dedicated on September 23, 1871.
In the early 1920's, the decision was made to build a new church. Groundbreaking took place on September 15, 1924 and the cornerstone was laid on May 24, 1925. The finished building was dedicated on September 5, 1927.
As the rise of industry led to the creation of the parish, the collapse of industry in Western Pennsylvania in the 1980's and 1990's led to its closing. In 1993, St. Mary and Madonna of Czestochowa parishes were merged and the new Mary, Mother of Hope parish was created. St. Mary church is still open and serves as a worship site for the new parish.