Saint Mary, North Side
This parish is presently located at:
St. Mary was founded as a German parish in 1848. The original church, a frame building, was built in 1848 and dedicated on December 17, 1848. This original church was located on Pressley Street and was only intended as a temporary measure. On April 10, 1853 the cornerstone for a larger, permanent church was laid, also on Pressley Street and on December 10, 1854 the new church was dedicated.
This church remained for over a century. It was remodeled in 1877, 1882, 1898, 1914 and 1923. As the Catholic population of the North Side dropped after World War II, the parish became less viable. On September 28, 1981, St. Mary parish was suppressed and the new Our Lady, Queen of Peace parish was created. The church building was soon sold by the diocese.