Saint Mary, West Winfield
This parish is presently located at:
St. Mary was founded in 1902. Little information has been recorded about this parish. It was founded by a Capuchin priest from St. Mary Assumption, Herman, Father Nicholas Deinlein, to serve the Austrian, Italian and Slav Catholics who lived and worked in the mining town of West Winfield. A small chapel was built in the town and dedicated on February 2, 1902. St. Mary was a mission of St. Mary Assumption.
In approximately 1945, the Capuchins assigned a pastor to St. Mary, although he continued to reside in Herman and the parish remained a mission church of St. Mary Assumption. By 1971, however, the number of Capuchin priests dropped to the point that they could no longer staff St. Mary. The diocese did not have available priests for St. Mary, either. As a result, St. Mary was closed on December 12, 1971.