Saint Michael Archangel

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 6:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:30 a.m.

Weekdays: M/T 12:05 p.m.

Confessions:

Saturday: 11:30 a.m.-12:00 noon

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

432 Center Ave
Butler, PA 16001
Phone: 724-282-4107
Fax: 724-282-3156

Convent: Saint Michael Archangel:

436 Center Ave
Butler, PA 16001
Phone: 724-282-2640

Religious Education:

128 N McKean St
Butler, PA 16001
Phone: 724-287-1759


Clergy:

Rev. Harry R. Bielewicz, Pastor
Rev. Matthew R. McClain, Residence
Rev. Anthony R. Sciarappa, Parochial Vicar

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

40001

Open Date:

1909

Ethnicity:

Italian

Neighborhoods Served:

Butler

Parish History

St. Michael was founded as an Italian ethnic parish in 1909.  The origin of the parish can be traced to Italian immigration to Butler in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.  By 1909 there were about 200 Italian families in Butler.  In that year, newly ordained Fr. Vincent Marinaro came to the United States to visit his four brothers.  While in Butler, he was approached by the pastor of St. Paul and a delegation of Italian Americans and asked to form a parish.  Permission was requested of the bishop to form an Italian parish and, on August 6, 1909 he was appointed pastor of the Italian mission.

The second floor of a warehouse was rented for a temporary church and on August 22, 1909, the first Mass of St. Michael parish was celebrated.  On February 10, 1910, a former Methodist church was purchased and renovated and was dedicated on August 28, 1910.  On February 3, 1912, the Belgian and French families in Butler were joined to the parish.  A special Mass in French was celebrated each Sunday.

On December 26, 1920 and on December 24, 1925, the church was badly damaged by fire.  In both instances, the building was repaired.  In 1926, fund raising began for a new church.  However, the depression put a hold on any such plans.  Not until 1947 was land for the new church purchased.  In May of 1948 ground was broken for the new church.  The cornerstone was laid on June 11, 1950 and the church was dedicated on September 28, 1952.

This church continues to serve the parish and the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

The first St. Michael Church, 1932

File Attachments: