Saint Michael, Avella
Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m.
Weekdays: T, Th 9:00 a.m.
Holy Days: HV 7:00 p.m.; H 11:00 a.m.
Saturday: 3:45-4:00 p.m.; Weekdays after mass
Religious Education:97 Highland Ave
Avella, PA 15312
Administrative Center:97 Highland Ave
Avella , PA 15312
St. Michael was founded in 1917. The origin of the parish can be traced to the creation of the Missionary Confraternity of Christian Doctrine in 1908. This organization was established to provide catechetical instruction in communities too small to support a parish. The mission was formed in Avella on January 24, 1909. After the catechetical school was established, priests from the Pittsburgh Apostolate, which was established to bring the Mass to these small communities, began making monthly visits to Avella. Beginning on May 14, 1916, priests from St. Augustine, Lawrenceville began visiting Avella weekly to celebrate Mass. During this period Mass was celebrated in commercial buildings, including a theater.
On September 20, 1916, the bishop authorized the collection of money for a church in Avella. Work on the church began in the spring of 1917 and the cornerstone was laid on July 8, 1917. Once the basement of the building was completed, it was dedicated on September 16, 1917. Mass was celebrated in the basement until the upper level of the church was completed in 1925.
On March 30,1918, a resident pastor was assigned to the parish. Over the years, the church building has been modified. In 1942 a new sacristy was built. In 1960, the church was faced with stone. The interior of the building was renovated in 1964. The church continues to serve the community today.