Saint Paschal, Argentine
This parish is presently located at:
St. Paschal was founded in 1912. The origin of the church can be traced to 1910. In that year a priest from St. Michael parish, Butler, began visiting the area to minister to the Catholics who moved there to work in the coal mines. Funds were raised for a church and on October 2, 1912, the church was dedicated as St. Paschal. St. Paschal was made a mission of St. Michael and Mass was celebrated once a week.
In 1919, the area mines closed and the bulk of the population began to move away. By 1921, the population dropped to the point that Mass was only offered in Argentine once a week. After the depression, the population increased to the point that Mass was again celebrated at St. Paschal every Sunday.
St. Paschal remained a mission of St. Michael until the mid-1960's. Then it became a mission of St. Louis in West Sunbury. By the early 1990's, the population of this section of Butler County dropped to the point that a merger of parishes became necessary. On September 3, 1993, St. Paschal merged with St. Louis, West Sunbury; St. Alphonsus, Murrinsville; and Epiphany, Boyers. As part of the merger, St. Paschal church was closed.