Saint Peter, McKeesport
This parish is presently located at:
St. Peter was founded in 1846. The origin of the parish can be traced to the arrival of German Catholic immigrants to McKeesport. At first they had to travel to St. Philomena parish in Pittsburgh to attend services. Beginning in 1844, the Redemptorist Fathers began visiting McKeesport once a month to celebrate Mass. In 1846, the local Catholics bought a plot of land for a church. Work began on the church and the completed building was dedicated on April 5, 1847. For a year, St. Peter remained a mission of St. Philomena. On November 5, 1848, St. Peter became an independent parish with the appointment of a resident pastor.
By 1870 the congregation began to outgrow the existing church building. In 1872 work began on a new school building. The parish planned to use the second floor of the school as a temporary church while the old church was torn down and a new one built. This temporary church was dedicated on January 19, 1873. The cornerstone of the new church was laid on September 14, 1873 and the completed church was dedicated on September 12, 1875.
Over the years, the church has been modernized and renovated. It also survived a fire in 1957. However, the parish could not survive the migration of population from the area. In 1993, St. Peter merged with Holy Trinity, Sacred Heart and St. Mary to form the new St. Martin de Porres parish. At first, St. Peter church remained open and served the new congregation. After the turn of the century, however, it became obvious that the new parish could not support more than one church building. On September 23, 2007, St. Peter Church closed and the parish razed the building in 2011.