Saint Peter, Tarentum
This parish is presently located at:
St. Peter was founded in 1887. Before the parish was founded, Catholics in Tarentum were under the care of St. Joseph parish, Natrona. On September 4, 1887, the pastor of St. Joseph purchased a building in Tarentum and converted it into a church. Due to the rise of population in Tarentum of people from different European countries, the bishop, in October of 1887, decided to appoint a resident pastor to Tarentum who was multi-lingual.
A fire on December 23, 1896, destroyed this first church. Until the new church was completed, Mass was celebrated in the school. The new church was dedicated on December 6, 1897.
By 1969, Tarentum had three churches within two blocks of each other. The population of the town, however, could no longer support this many parishes. On June 8, 1969, St. Peter was merged with Sacred Heart to form a new parish named Sacred Heart-St. Peter. As neither church was large enough to serve the combined congregation, a new church was built. This church was dedicated on May 14, 1972.