St. Philomena was established in 1948. The origin of the parish can be traced to a parish census taken at St. Mary parish, Beaver Falls. That parish was considering enlarging its church at the time. The census showed that over 20% of the congregation lived in and around the College Hill section of town. Rather than enlarge the church, the parish made plans to start a parish in College Hill. In 1948 the diocese issued a directive establishing the new parish and the first Mass in the parish was celebrated on October 3, 1948, in the College Hill fire station.
At first the parish was a mission of St. Mary, but on January 20, 1949, a resident pastor was assigned. In 1949 land was purchased for a church and fund raising began. The next year work began on a temporary church that was planned to convert to a school. The cornerstone of the building was laid on October 29, 1950, and the completed building was dedicated on October 21, 1951.
On September 21, 1958, ground was broken for a school addition to the church building. The cornerstone of the school was laid on November 16, 1958, and the school was dedicated on September 27, 1959. The original plans to move the church were dropped and the church remains in its original location. This building continued to serve the congregation.
By the early 21st century, it became clear that the parish could no longer remain independent due to population loss and the decrease in the number of available priests. After a five year study, the decision was made to merge St. Philomena with three other parishes -- St. Rose of Lima, Divine Mercy and Christ the Divine Teacher -- to form a new parish named St. Monica. This merger took place on July 15, 2013. St. Philomena Church remained open to serve the new congregation until a new church could be built.