Saint Philomena, Strip District
This parish is presently located at:
St. Philomena was founded in 1839, the first German ethnic parish in the diocese. The church was first located in the Strip District of Pittsburgh. Among the priests who served at St. Philomena were St. John Neumann and Blessed Francis Seelos. The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 26, 1842 and the completed church was dedicated on October 4, 1846. Due to the growing commercialization of the Strip District over time, the parish was no longer viable in its original location. On April 15, 1922, the church was sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad. The last Mass held in St. Philomena in the Strip District on November 16, 1925.
St. Philomena was then relocated in the Squirrel Hill section of Pittsburgh. The first Mass was held in the new St. Philomena occurred on June 4, 1922. The church served the community for 70 years, but eventually, population loss in the city led to the closing of the parish. As part of the Diocesan reorganization and revitalization, St. Philomena closed in 1993 and the church was sold shortly afterwards.