Saint Raphael

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

5:00 pm (1st Sunday after Easter till October)

4:00 pm (November till Sunday before Easter)

Sunday

9:00 am

11:00 am

Weekdays

M/T/Th/F 7:00 am

W 8:15 am

Holy Days

As scheduled

Confessions:

Saturday

4:00 pm - 4:45 pm

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

1154 Chislett St
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Phone: 412-661-0290 (Sun. only)

School: Saint Raphael:

1154 Chislett St
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Phone: 412-661-0288
Fax: 412-661-0428

Administrative Center:

1118 Chislett St
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Phone: 412-661-3100
Fax: 412-661-4105


Clergy:

Msgr. William M. Ogrodowski, VE, Pastor
Deacon William O. Hahn, Permanent Deacon
Very Rev. Joseph M. Mele, Ph.D., In Residence

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

50701

Open Date:

1911

Neighborhoods Served:

Morningside

Parish History

St. Raphael was established on July 15, 1911.  The origin of the parish can be traced to a petition sent to the bishop on September 30, 1909, requesting that a parish be established in Morningside.  Until St. Raphael was founded, local Catholics had to travel to either Lawrenceville or Shadyside to attend Mass. 

The parish rented a house to serve as a combined temporary church and rectory.  The first floor was renovated to serve as a church while the second floor served as a residence for the priest.  The first Mass was celebrated in this house on August 6, 1911.  Land was purchased and plans made for a temporary church that could eventually be converted into an activities building.  Ground for the church was broken on September 18, 1911, the cornerstone was laid on October 22, 1911, and the completed church was dedicated on December 24, 1911.

This church served the community for over 45 years.  Finally, on March 23, 1958, ground was broken for a new church.  The cornerstone was laid on March 16, 1959, and the completed church was dedicated on December 20, 1959.  The old church was converted into an activities building and continues to serve the congregation in that capacity.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Raphael Church, 1941
Interior of St. Raphael, 1941
St. Raphael Church, 2002
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Raphael Parish Map.pdf170.86 KB