Saint Regis, Oakland
This parish is presently located at:
St. Regis was founded in 1953. The origin of the parish, however, goes back to the year 1907. Prior to that year, the population of lower Oakland had been growing rapidly, fueled by the building of new mills along the Monongahela River. In 1907, St. Paul Cathedral, which, along with St. Agnes parish, was responsible for this area, began conducting Sunday School classes for children in the area in a private home. In 1912, St. Paul Cathedral bought land in lower Oakland for a building that would hold school rooms and a small basement chapel. Work on the building began on July 1912 and the first Mass was celebrated on Christmas of 1912. The building was dedicated on February 2, 1913.
This chapel was known only as St. Paul Chapel No. 2. One of the assistants of St. Paul was given charge of the chapel. This arrangement continued for 40 years, until 1953. On June 18, 1953, the chapel became an independent parish and was given the name of St. Regis.
The new parish immediately began fund raising for a new church. Ground for the church was broken on January 6, 1957, the cornerstone was laid on September 15, 1957, and the completed church was dedicated on March 8, 1958. The old chapel was converted into a social hall.
Within a decade after the establishment of the parish, the population of the parish began to steadily decline. By the early 1990's, the population of Oakland could no longer support the number of existing parishes. In 1993, St. Regis and St. Hyacinth parishes were merged to create a new parish, which was also named St. Regis. The existing St. Regis Church remains open and serves the new parish.