Saint Scholastica

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.

Sunday: 7:30, 9:00, 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M-F 8:30 a.m.; Sat. 9:00 a.m.

Holy Days: 8:30 a.m.; 12:00 p.m.; 7:00 p.m.

Confessions:

Saturday: 9:30 a.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

309 Brilliant Ave
Pittsburgh , PA 15215
Phone: 412-781-0186 x20

Church Building:

3rd and Brilliant Aves
Pittsburgh, PA 15215


Administrative Center:

309 Brilliant Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15215
Phone: 412-781-0186
Fax: 412-781-4316


Clergy:

Rev. James R. Torquato, STL, Pastor

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

53201

Open Date:

1907

Neighborhoods Served:

Aspinwall

Parish History

St. Scholastica was established in 1907.  The origin of the parish can be traced to 1903, when a group of local Catholics sent a petition to the bishop requesting a parish of their own.  Before this time, the Catholic residents of Aspinwall had to travel to Sharpsburg to attend Mass.  In May of 1905, a mission was started by the pastor of St. Joseph, Sharpsburg.  For two years Mass was celebrated in a commercial building.  In 1906, the bishop assigned a committee of three priests to determine if an independent parish for Aspinwall was feasible.  The committee reported favorably in April of 1907 and on June 24, 1907, a resident pastor was assigned to the new parish.

Land was purchased for a church and the cornerstone was laid on September 1907.  The church was dedicated on December 15, 1907.  In 1925, a school was attached to the church building.  This church served the congregation for over 40 years.  In 1948 the parish secured permission to build a new church.  Construction began soon afterwards.  The cornerstone was laid on October 9, 1949, and the completed church was dedicated on June 25, 1950.  The original church was converted to classrooms.  The building was eventually torn down in 1984.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Combined church/school building, 1933
Interior of church, 1933
St. Scholastica Church, 2002
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Scholastica Parish Map.pdf91.11 KB