Saint Stanislaus, Ambridge

No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A





Additional Information:

Open Date:

1914

Close Date:

1994

This parish is presently located at:

Ethnicity:

Polish

Neighborhoods Served:

Ambridge

Parish History

St. Stanislaus was founded as a Polish parish in 1914.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the opening of the American Bridge Company steel plant in 1902, which gave the town its name.  The plant attracted other industries to the area, which in turn attracted immigrants including Poles.  At first Polish residents of Ambridge attended the territorial parish of St. Veronica, but they switched to the Slovak parish of Divine Redeemer when it opened in 1906.  In 1907, a group of local Poles formed the St. Hedwig's Society to raise funds to build a church of their own. 

In March of 1914, the Polish community petitioned the bishop to establish as parish.  The petition was granted and the parish of St. Stanislaus was established on July 30, 1914.  Land was purchased and a basement was built and dedicated as a temporary church on November 29, 1914.  In 1919, a two story superstructure was built over the basement.  The church was transferred to the second floor and classrooms for a school were constructed on the first floor and the basement.  Due to an increased school enrollment, the church was transferred back to the basement in 1924 and the second floor was converted to classrooms.

Work on a new church began on October 24, 1926.  The cornerstone was laid on June 26, 1927, and the completed church was dedicated on July 4, 1928.

As the rise of industry in Beaver County led to the creation of the parish, the loss of industry near the end of the century led to its suppression.  By the early 1990's, Ambridge could no longer support five independent parishes.  In 1994, the parishes were merged to create a new parish named Good Samaritan.  At first, St. Stanislaus church remained open and served the new parish.  However, as the decade progressed it became obvious that the congregation could not support four church buildings.  After a three year study, the parish decided in 2004 to close St. Stanislaus Church.  The final Mass in the church was celebrated on November 14, 2004.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Stanislaus church, 2002

File Attachments: