Saint Sylvester

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m.; Sunday: 9:00, 11:00 a.m.

Weekdays: M-Sat. 8:00 a.m.; F 8:30 a.m. during school year

Confessions:

Daily: After 8:00 a.m. Mass

Saturday: 11:00 a.m.-12:00 noon; by request after Vigil Mass

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

3754 Brownsville Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15227
Phone: 412-882-8593
Fax: 412-882-0153

School: Saint Sylvester:

30 W Willock Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15227
Phone: 412-882-9900
Fax: 412-882-0153

Convent: Saint Sylvester :

30 W Willock Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15227
Phone: 412-881-0638

Religious Education:

3754 Brownsville Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15227
Phone: 412-881-4142


Clergy:

Rev. John M. Bachkay, Pastor
Deacon Andrew J. White Jr.

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

54801

Open Date:

1924

Neighborhoods Served:

Brentwood

Parish History

St. Sylvester was established in July of 1924 as a mission of St. Wendelin, Carrick.  The founding of the mission was in response to a petition to the bishop submitted by a group of Brentwood Catholics.  Once permission was received, land was purchased and a church built.  The church was dedicated on November 27, 1924. 

In February of 1928, the parish became independent with the assignment of a resident pastor.  The parish quickly outgrew its church.  In 1933 the parish began work on a school building that would also include church facilities.  The first floor of the building was set aside for the church and the upper floor for a school.  The church portion of the building was dedicated on September 9,1934.  The old church was converted to a lyceum.  It served this purpose until 1948 when it was torn down to make room for a new convent.

After World War II the population of Brentwood boomed.  As a result, the parish decided that they needed a new church.  On April 3, 1955, ground was broken for the new church.  The cornerstone was laid on September 16, 1956, and the completed building was dedicated on February 23, 1957.  This church serves the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

First St. Sylvester Church, 1934
Interior of first church, 1934
St. Sylvester Church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Sylvester Parish Map.pdf139.8 KB