Saint Thomas Aquinas

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
[title]

Mass Schedule:

Sunday: 10:00am; During the school year there will also be a 5:00pm Sunday Mass at St. Thomas Aquinas, celebrated by the chaplain of the students at CalU.  Anyone can attend this Mass.

Weekdays: Wednesdays 9:00 am

Holy Days: As scheduled

Confessions:

Sunday: 9:40 a.m. or by appointment (call the admin center office)

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

126 Church Street
Bentleyville, PA 15314
Phone: 724-209-1370
Fax: 724-987-7205

Church Building:

409 Union Street
California, PA 15419


Religious Education:

409 Union Street
California, PA 15419
Phone: 724-209-1370 x 408


Additional Information:

Parish ID:

5901

Open Date:

1888

Close Date:

2016

Neighborhoods Served:

California

Parish History

St. Thomas was founded in 1888 in the town of Coal Center.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the development of the coal mining industry in the area.  Beginning in 1876, the pastor of St. Peter, Brownsville began making once a month visits to Coal Center to celebrate Mass.  For a decade Mass was celebrated either in private homes or in a rented hall.  In 1888, the cornerstone for a small frame church was laid and the church was completed shortly afterwards. 

In 1902, the parish purchased property in nearby California.  In 1956 a combination church and school was built on the California property.  The parish retained the old church until 1967 when it was sold.  The combination church and school building continued to serve the parish into the next century.

However, it soon became obvious that the area could not support the number of parishes in existence.  In 2015, the diocese began a study to determine the best use of existing resources for better ministry, service and evangelization.  The study recommended that St. Thomas be merged with four other area parishes.  The diocese accepted the recommendation and on January 8, 2017 St. Thomas was formally closed and the new St. Katharine Drexel Parish created.  St. Thomas Church remains open, but will only be used for occasional worship.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

The first St. Thomas Church in Coal Center, 1931
St. Thomas Church/school, 2002
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Thomas Aquinas Parish Map.pdf99.62 KB