Saint Thomas More

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Saint Thomas More

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 5:00 p.m.

Sunday: 8:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 5:00 p.m.

Weekdays: M-F 8:00, 11:30 a.m.; Sat. 11:30 a.m.

Confessions:

Saturday: 10:00-11:00 a.m.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education:

134 Fort Couch Rd
Pittsburgh , PA 15241
Phone: 412-835-6996

School: Saint Thomas More:

134 Fort Couch Rd
Pittsburgh , PA 15241
Phone: 412-833-1412
Fax: 412-822-5597

Administrative Center:

126 Fort Couch Rd
Pittsburgh , PA 15241
Phone: 412-833-0031
Fax: 412-833-5995


Clergy:

Rev. James B. Farnan, Pastor
Deacon William Batz
Rev. Michael J. Maranowski, MDiv, Parochial Vicar

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

56301

Open Date:

1953

Neighborhoods Served:

Bethel Park

MISSION STATEMENT

 

We, the body of Christ, brought together as the parish community of Saint Thomas More in Bethel Park, are committed to the source of our life, Jesus Christ and the Catholic faith.  The Eucharist is the center of our faith and each member of our church is a unified gift from God with talents, treasures and needs.

Our mission is to work together as disciples of Christ to meet the spiritual, physical, educational and emotional needs of the parish family and evangelize those who God sends to us, using the resources He gives us.

Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we are committed to celebrating the Sacraments, continuing our Christian formation, living our Christian values, building community and being attentive to the needs of those we are called to serve.

Parish History

St. Thomas More was founded on June 18, 1953.  The parish was formed to meet the needs of a growing population in the South Hills.  The first Mass in the new parish was celebrated on June 21 in the Upper St. Clair Fire Hall.  By the end of August, the number of parishioners attending Sunday Mass outgrew the space available in the fire hall.  Beginning on September 6, Sunday Mass was moved to the vacant Clifton School. 

Fund raising for a church began in October of 1953.  A decision was made to build a small, portable, church on land belonging to the Sister of St. Joseph.  On April 19, 1954, ground was broken for the new church.  The church was unique in that it had an aluminum frame and was constructed entirely of aluminum.  On July 19, 1954, construction began and the completed church was dedicated on October 2, 1954.  In 1958 the Sisters needed the land to build Fontbonne Academy, so the church was dismantled and rebuilt on the site the parish bought in October of 1958. 

By the mid 1960's the congregation had outgrown its small aluminum church.  On June 12, 1968, ground was broken for the new church.  The cornerstone of the church was laid on April 21, 1969, and on September 14, 1969, the church was dedicated.  The old church was sold to the Chartiers Valley School District.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Construction of St. Thomas More Church, 1968.  Above the construction is the original aluminum church.
Interior of first St. Thomas More Church, 1969.
St. Thomas More Church, 2002
Interior of church, circa 1969
Altar of St. Thomas More Church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Thomas More Parish Map.pdf139.06 KB