Saint Vincent de Paul, Esplen
This parish is presently located at:
St. Vincent de Paul was established in 1903 as a Lithuanian parish. The origin of the parish can be traced to the arrival of Lithuanian immigrants in Esplen at the end of the nineteenth century. At first, these immigrants traveled to the South Side of Pittsburgh to attend Mass at St. Casimir. Because of the difficulty of traveling to the South Side, a committee of local Lithuanians was formed to study the possibility of forming their own parish. In October of 1902, the committee wrote to the bishop requesting permission to form a parish. On November 12, 1902, the bishop granted them permission to purchase land for a church. Work began on the church immediately and the building was dedicated on October 11, 1903.
The church served the congregation for almost six decades. In 1962, the hall in the school was remodeled into a church and the old church was closed. The building was used for storage for a few years, but was then sold in 1970.
Due to population losses in the area, in 1993 St. Vincent de Paul was merged with seven other parishes to form the new St. John of God parish. The St. Vincent de Paul Church was initially converted into a pastoral center. In 1997, the pastoral center was closed and sold shortly afterwards.