Saint Wendelin, Carrick

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Diocese of Pittsburgh Shield

Mass Schedule:

Sunday: 8:00 a.m.

Weekdays:  Wed, Fri, 8:00 a.m.

Confessions:

St. Basil – Saturday – 11 am-12 noon

Javascript is required to view this map.

Administrative Center:

3198 Schieck St
Pittsburgh, PA 15227
Phone: 412-882-1480
Fax: 412-884-2300

Saint Wendelin Education Building:

3198 Schieck St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15227


Church Building:

2728 Custer Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15227



Clergy:

Rev. Stephen A. Kresak, MDiv, Pastor
Rev. Michael S. Sedor, M.A., S.T.L., Parochial Vicar

Parish Staff:

Kathy Moeslein, Religious Education

Additional Information:

Parish ID:

59101

Open Date:

1873

Neighborhoods Served:

Carrick
Baldwin

Parish History

St. Wendelin was founded in 1873.  Little is known about the origins of the parish, except that it was founded to serve the growing population of Carrick.  In 1873, a small frame church had been built that was visited from first St. Paul Monastery and then St. Peter, South Side.  In 1876, a resident pastor was assigned to the parish.

By the end of the century, the congregation outgrew the original church.  Work on a new church began in 1895.  The cornerstone was laid on June 7, 1896, and the completed church was dedicated on April 25, 1897. 

Over the years the church was renovated several times.  In 1922, for the fiftieth anniversary of the parish, two new side altars, new chandeliers, a new communion rail and stained glass windows were added to the church.  In 1934, two new side entrances and side balconies were added.  The church was renovated in 1941 and 1963.  Additional changes were made in 1970 and 1994.

The church continues to serve the congregation today.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

St. Wendelin church, 2002
Interior of church, 1923
Main altar, 1940
Interior of church, 2002

File Attachments:


PreviewAttachmentSize
St. Wendelin Parish Map, Carrick.pdf82.42 KB