Saints Cyril and Methodius, Charleroi
This parish is presently located at:
Ss. Cyril and Methodius was founded in 1901 as a Slovak ethnic parish. The origin of the parish can be traced to the growth of heavy industry in the area and the increased need of workers. Among the immigrants who came to the area for work were a number of Slovak immigrants. By 1901, the number had grown to the point that they could support their own parish. The first Mass for the new parish was celebrated on October 27, 1901. In 1902, work began on a church and the completed building was dedicated on December 21, 1902.
This church served the congregation for most of the century. As the rise of industry led to the creation of the parish, the collapse of that same industry in the area near the end of the century led to the suppression of the parish. In 1992, the three parishes in Charleroi were merged to form the new Mary, Mother of the Church parish. Initially, the church remained open as a worship site for the new parish. But it soon became obvious that the congregation could not support three churches. In 1996, Ss. Cyril and Methodius church closed. In 2001, the church was sold.