Saints Cyril and Methodius, New Brighton
This parish is presently located at:
Ss. Cyril and Methodius was founded in 1916 as a Slovak ethnic parish. The origin of the parish can be traced to the influx of Slovak and Croatian immigrants to New Brighton in the beginning of the century. In 1916, a group was formed to request that a parish be established for them. The bishop granted permission and on October 1, 1916, St. Joseph parish offered the new parish space in their church to meet. In 1917, the parish purchased a building to serve as a church. The building served as a carriage factory from 1867 until 1896 and beginning in 1896 as the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. On September 3, 1917, this church was dedicated.
In 1950, a building fund was begun by the parish to build a new building that would serve as a church and school. Property for the new church was purchased on November 18, 1954 and ground was broken on April 15, 1956. The cornerstone of the church was laid on January 20, 1957 and the finished church was dedicated on September 14, 1957.
As the rise of population in the beginning of the century led to the creation of the parish, the loss of population near the end of the century led to its demise. In 1994, Ss. Cyril and Methodius parish merged with St. Joseph parish to form the new Holy Family parish. The Ss. Cyril and Methodius church remained open and served as a worship site for the new parish until June 1999. At that time the church was closed and renovated into a parish hall.