Transfiguration, Monongahela

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil

4:00 pm

Sunday

9:00 am

11:30 am

Weekdays

M-Th 8:00 am

F 9:00 am

Holy Days

9:00 am

12:00 pm

7:00 pm

Confessions:

Saturday

5:00 pm

Sunday

10:00 am

Javascript is required to view this map.

School: Madonna Catholic Regional:

731 Charles St
Monongahela, PA 15063
Phone: 724-258-3199
Fax: 724-258-6764

Administrative Center:

722 W Main St
Monongahela , PA 15063-2898
Phone: 724-258-7742/724-258-7794
Fax: 724-258-8733

Religious Education:

722 W Main St
Monongahela , PA 15063-2898
Phone: 724-258-7742


Additional Information:

Parish ID:

56701

Open Date:

1865

Close Date:

2011

Neighborhoods Served:

Monongahela

Parish History

Transfiguration Parish was founded in 1865.  Masses had been celebrated infrequently in Monongahela beginning in 1835 and was visited over the years from St. Paul Cathedral, St. Peter, Brownsville and St. Michael, Elizabeth.  However, for 30 years, the town did not have a Catholic church.  On August 10, 1865 the cornerstone of Transfiguration church was laid and the completed church was dedicated on Thanksgiving of that year.  Until 1893, Transfiguration was a mission church.  In that year, the first resident pastor was assigned to the parish.

In 1906 the cornerstone for a new church was laid and the completed church was dedicated on February 23, 1908.  In 1911, the old church was remodeled and used as a school.  This school remained in use until 1962. 

Unfortunately, the late 20th century saw a decline in heavy industry in the area and a subsequent loss of population.  By the early 21st century, it became obvious that the area could no longer support the number of parishes then in existence.  In October of 2007, the parishes in Monongahela, Charleroi and Donora took part in a two year study to look at the future of the Church in the region.  The study considered the demographics, spiritual needs, financial stability and an assessment of the parish buildings in the three communities.  The study developed several recommendations, including the recommendation to merge the two parishes in Monongahela.  The bishop accepted this recommendation and on August 15, 2011 St. Anthony Parish and Transfiguration Parish in Monongahela merged to form the new St. Damien of Molokai Parish.  The new parish kept both churches open pending a two year study to determine if the parish needed to maintain both churches.

The study determined that it was not feasible for the parish to maintain two church buildings. However, the parish was unable to come to a consensus as to which of the two churches should remain open.The parish then asked the bishop to make the final decision and, after inviting feedback from the individual parishioners, he decided to keep Transfiguration Church open and to close St. Anthony Church. St. Anthony was formally closed on April 28, 2014 and Transfiguration Church renamed St. Damien of Molokai.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Original church, 1865-1908
Original church after it was converted to a school, undated
Transfiguration, circa 1950
Interior Transfiguration, 1987

File Attachments: