Transfiguration, Russellton

No public posts in this group. You must login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.
-A A +A
Transfiguration, Russellton

Mass Schedule:

Saturday Vigil: 4:00 PM

Sunday: 8:00, 10:00 AM

Weekdays: T-Sat. 8:00 AM

Holy Days: 4:00 PM (vigil), 8:00 AM , 7:00PM


Saturday: 12:00 Noon & by appoinment

Javascript is required to view this map.

Religious Education Office:

100 McKrell Road
Russellton, PA 15076
Phone: (724) 265-3284

Rectory / Parish Office:

94 McKrell Road
Russellton, PA 15076
Phone: (724) 265-1030
Fax: (724) 265-1032


100 McKrell Road
Russellton, PA 15076


Rev. James P. Holland, Pastor

Parish Staff:

Diane Miller, Parish Financial Secretary
Mary Jo Mehal, Parish Secretary / Bulletin Editor
MaryEtta Filotei, Director of Education and Spiritual Development
Judi Damon, Director of Mercy and Service Ministry
Amy Salera, Safe Environment Coordinator
Dawn Pawloski, Director of Music Ministry
Tom Jenkins, Facilities Manager

Additional Information:

Parish ID:


Open Date:


Neighborhoods Served:


 Parish Mission Statement

We, the parish family of Transfiguration Roman Catholic Church, built on the strong foundation of our coal mining community heritage, from the ashes of our fire, and guided by the Holy Spirit, seek to provide a warm, inviting and welcoming environment where the values and teachings of our Catholic faith are celebrated and nurtured. We give glory to God through the use of the talents He has bestowed upon each of us in the spirit of outreach to all.


Click here for more parish history and photographs

Parish History

Transfiguration parish was established in 1914.  The origin of the parish can be traced to the previous year, when the pastor of St. Mary Church, New Kensington began visiting Russellton regularly to celebrate Mass.  Masses were celebrated in either private homes or in commercial buildings.  On April 13, 1914, a church committee petitioned the bishop for permission to build a church.  The bishop did grant permission and the church was completed in 1916.  That same year, a resident pastor was assigned to the parish. 

This church was enlarged in 1935 and 1950.  In 1993 a new entranceway was added.  The church continued to serve the parish until June 15, 2006 when a fire destroyed the church.  The parish converted the school gym into a temporary worship site while they made plans to rebuild the churcvh.  However, due to the declining population of the area, these plans were dropped.  After the diocese decided to close the parish school, the parish made plans to convert the school gym into a permanent church.  Renovation of the school began in 2008 and the new church opened before the end of the year.

Photos From the Diocesan Archive:

Transfiguration Church, 1933
Interior of Transfiguration, 1933
Transfiguration Church, 2001
Interior of Transfiguration, 2001
Interior of the temporary church, 2007
The second Transfiguration Church, 2012
Interior of the second Transfiguration Church, 2012

File Attachments:

Transfiguration Parish.pdf146.1 KB